Sunday, May 2, 2010

Collegiate Peaks

Fighting a cold on Friday, I took it easy and avoided contact with everyone. Threw down a lot of Airborne and cranberry juice and hit the sack at 9:30 PM. Up at 2:30 AM and on the road to Buena Vista by 3:30 AM for race start at 6:30 AM. By the time I got to BV, I felt pretty good (mostly over the cold)--but not entirely 100%.

This was my fourth big race for 2010: a 25-mile trail run beginning and ending near the Arkansas River and consisting of mostly Jeep and single-track trails--some along part of the historic Midland Railroad.

GPS:




Conditions were better than anticipated: cool and clear skies (forecast was for snow). I learned a hard lesson from my recent (and first) trail marathon in Salida: took plenty of water this time...and glad I did.

Ran pretty strong through mile 21 or so. I started to bonk during the last few miles, consequently losing about 15 slots to other runners. Ultimately finished in ~4:11:30.

Finished off the BV visit drinking at the new Eddyline Brewery with a bunch of hasher and Colorado Springs friends (and, of course, a mandatory stop at the Green Parrot) while waiting for a few of our other buddies to finish the 50-mile.

Excellent day!

www.collegiatepeakstrailrun.org

Next up, Jemez 50K in three weeks and lots of training to do before that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work, buddy! See ya at Jemez!