Monday, June 2, 2008

Weekend at Steamboat Springs (5/30-6/1)


Friday (May 30) I did the "Law Day 10K" race with brownie. Susan Mopper was nice enough to come down and chill with us afterwards. This race was messed up (much like our legal system I suppose). Arrows were provided to indicate the race route only on straightaways (like there is any ambiguity there)--at places where the trail forked off in two or three directions, no arrows, no course marshals! I really didn't care--but it added a good three minutes to my time while I was screwing around trying to find the right way. Eventually I came to the 6 mile marker--while my GPS said ~5.5. So, I quickly made up the distance by running down the street and back before crossing the finish line. Gee whiz...but the PBR and Ruby's burger made it all better! ;)

After all that I took off for our condo in Steamboat Springs and caught up with Allison, Tara, Ryan, and Stacey. After that lovely 3.5 hour drive I was pulling into the condo at about midnight. We still stayed up until at least 3 AM drinking and playing cards...

Harold, Alyssa, Chris, and Nikki showed up Saturday. Sunday morning we were all up around 5 AM and Ryan and I were on the half marathon bus by ~6 AM. Of all the people that signed up for the Steamboat half or 10K--only Ryan, Harold, and myself actually ran. Others (with the exception of Allison) had a bunch of lame excuses! ;) Poor Allison got some weird food poisoning or something (we aren't sure) on Friday that lasted all weekend--but she was a champ and hung with us for the duration.

I kicked butt on this race (granted it was mostly level and downhill): 01:36:58 (52nd place out of the ~1000 half marathon runners):


Finished off the weekend soaking in the hot springs near Steamboat...

1 comment:

brownie said...

Nice analogy about the law day 10k and the justice system being fucked up. I think I actually ran the real course, but it was totally by accident.

You've been running real well lately. But we'll see what you have at the Garden on Sunday! Downhill courses are for pussies! Ten miles of rolling hills, gonna be a great time!

Tell Cherry she's a pussy. I got food poisoning before last year's San Juan Solstice and still finished.